DR. KO REVIEW PART 1

by - February 08, 2020

Assalamualaikum. Hi.

This happened literally a year ago because I went to Dr. Ko on February last year but I think it is a good thing I just have the mood to write about it now because I could give proper review. The long term effects like what happened to my skin a year later. But HERE's a spoiler if you care for one. Read at your own risk, alright.

I decided to go to Dr. Ko because I had terrible breakout (what's new huh?). It was actually my fault. I didn't realize that my scrub and moisturizer has expired. Hahaha. You know what, it wasn't 100%. We can also blame Watson store near my house for not removing items that close to their expire dates from the shelves. I'll never buy anything from that Watson anymore and guys, check the expiry date before buying anything especially things you put on your face.

I called Dr. Ko Puchong beforehand asking if I need to make an appointment but they said I can just walk in anytime. I went to Dr Ko Puchong because that was their closest center to my house. I think they are open everyday from 10.30am or 11.00am to 7.00pm. I went on Saturday because I'm working a Monday to Friday job.

From my consultation with the doctor, I can conclude that there are five factors triggering acne and I think most people already know what they are especially people who are always struggling with acne like me. And they are ;

1. Hormone
2. Product (skincare, medications etc)
3. Environment
4. Stress
5. Diet

The doctor suggested for me to take the acne package. I'm not sure if they have other acne packages but this was the one she recommended for me.

What's in the package?

1. 1 month worth of medications (antibiotic and isotretinoin)
2. Full set of Dr Ko acne skin care
3. 3x facial (extraction)

Now let's go to one of the reasons why you are googling Dr Ko Review at the first place. How much does this package costed me. It was RM 1449. Beauty is pain (in the pocket) guys. Now let me walk you through all those items above.

MEDICATIONS (RM 330/MONTH)


This was a month worth of medications. I was on the medications for three month so every month I went to Dr Ko to get new set of those pills. The dosage depends on individual. I need to take 2 of the isotretinoin (purple capsule) for the first five days and one each day after that. The doctor told me that isotretinoin can cause birth defect if you take it during pregnancy. So if you are planning for a baby or if you are a pregnant lady, don't take this. You need to stop isotretinoin a month prior trying for a baby. It will also make your lips dry.

SKIN CARE (RM 880/SET)

The price of Dr. Ko skincare set is totally not pocket friendly especially for students but to think that I've been struggling with acne for 9 years and I've tried so many cheaper alternative that didn't work for me, so I thought I'll treat this as an investment for myself. I forgot the price for each products with the package discount. I'm really bad with number guys. Like REALLY BAD. Luckily there are price tag on each products' packaging. But they are the net price not discounted price (update : well I calculated it and it just RM8 difference between package price and net price 😴)

The products in application orders

From left to right;

Bio Perform Acne Cleanser RM 139
The cleanser is my third favourite item in this set. It came in a pump which I like because it also came with a cap so it's travel friendly. I have just finished this last December which mean it lasted almost a year for me. I use two pumps of it each time I washed my face. Sometimes one pump, especially during the morning when I was still on medication because my skin wasn't oily at all. Actually it's worth the price because you don't have to buy cleanser for a year, don't you agree? Please excuse the cap. The metallic coating peeled off when it came in contact with water. That's the only part I hate about this cleanser, specifically the packaging. The metallic coating will stuck on your skin like glitter and it's very hard to remove.

Clarifying Mist RM 120
I'm not sure what's the function of this one. As the name suggest, this is a mist spray. Maybe for hydration. I don't know if it helps with combating acne. Please, if anyone know anything about facial mist, please educate me because I really don't think it does anything. Hahaha. This one finished after around two to three months if I'm not mistaken and I since I'm so ignorant about the advantages of facial mist, I didn't bother buy a new one after that.

Vitality Purifying Essence RM 120
This also came in a pump. That's what I like about Dr. Ko's skincare packaging. They are hygienic. This one is use on problematic area where those nasty acne located. It has the smell of alcohol so I'm guessing it is use to disinfect the acne bacteria? Please bear with my guessing game. Hahaha. When I use this while I was on medication and few months after that, it still works. But it doesn't works nowadays. I'm not sure if the bacteria are already immune to this or what. I still haven't finished this bottle. Oh, you will feel tingly when you apply this if you have acne wound from self-peeling acne. I was guilty of that so I that's how I know. Actually I still does that tehee. Don't be like me. KEEP YOUR HAND AWAY FROM YOUR FACIAL SKIN guys especially if you have acne prone skin like me.

Acne Therapy Solution RM 99
It is actually spot treatment so this one is to be applied on each of the acne bumps. Just like Vitality Purifying Essence, it works on me only when I was on medication and few months after that and I also haven't finished this tube. Maybe I put too little of it so that's why it doesn't works?

Bio Hydro Gel RM 230
Behold, my most favourite item from this whole set. This is the moisturizer. The name suggest that it's gel but actually it is more like cream with water-like consistency. Isn't that magic? The bottle is also kind of unique. The moisturizer came in a airless twist up pump bottle. That's a bit of mouthful. Hahaha. HERE an example. I'm sorry if you're not fascinated with it. Maybe it's just the designer in me who find the mechanism interesting. Although it's cream type but it doesn't feel sticky and oily at all. I love it. This is the only item that I bought again after I finished the first bottle. You can read why I don't buy third bottle HERE

Bio Defense Suncscreen RM 100
This is their sunscreen with protection factor of SPF 60. It came in a tube. This is my second favourite. I like it thick creamy white texture. With that texture, one might expect it to be oily but surprisingly it is not oily at all. I haven't finished this tube too because as I said the texture is thick so just a little of it can already cover my whole face and I don't really go out. Also I'm guilty of not wearing any sunscreen at home. Heheh. I might repurchase this again if not for the metallic cap. I once accidentally wetted the cap and the metallic coating came off. It still come off up until now. So sometimes I have glitter on my face when I'm in a hurry and just don't have time to deal with it. Or do you know any hygienic ways and container that I can use to transfer and store this because I really do like it.

FACIAL EXTRACTION (RM 200/ 3 SESSIONS)

Their net price for facial extraction is actually RM 200/session. But I get two sessions free because it was my first time with Dr. Ko. You need to book early for the facial because they are always full on weekend since everyone only have free time on weekend. Unless you are free on weekdays, then you are good. I only had the chance to do the facial after a month and half after my first visit. I'll let you know why that happened in my next entry (hint : it is my own fault)

I'll update more in my next entry.

Thank you for reading.

💙
Nurul

You May Also Like

44 comments

  1. Wah popular betul Dr.ko ni ya ;) hehe Hana tau pasal Dr.ko ni pun sebab tengok short filem Mtas production kat youtube. haha
    .
    Thank you for your review! heee ;D Waiting for part 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haah popular Dr. Ko ni selalu tengok iklan dorang dekat jalan. Tu yang terpengaruh. Hahaha

      Delete
  2. adehhh sy yg dah keje ni pun belum tentu mampu nk beli skin care berharga smpi mcm tu... tp tu laa beauty is pain serba serbi hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dah bosan asyik breakout je muka, memang terpaksa cari alternatif lain. T_T

      Delete
  3. Yup beauty is pain..hehe.. its so expensive..but if its worth.. then why not. Get well soon friend.
    ~done follow. Hope we can b friends😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. PATUTlah ramai datin2 sangup labur juta2 rm pakai bengkong n saka., huhuhu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Datin kayo, yang tak datin ni tak kayo sangat tapi gerammm dah dengan jerawat-jerawat berkeliaran ni T_T

      Delete
  5. This is a good detailed review. I've encounter some people that successfully overcome their skin problem with Dr Ko, hope you'll recover from your breakout soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fuhhh that's a lot but if it helps and works, then it's worth it.
    I hope your skin will recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even i really want to try Mr Ko product, but i rather spend my money on basic things coz i know i couldnt afford the price. Huwaaa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalau kulit okay takde serious problem, it's okay tak go for dermatologist pun. Produk lain yang affordable pun banyak yang okay untuk daily use. Hehehe

      Delete
  8. I took the exact same package as yours! Lol im excited reading others' experience

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your blog were among the reviews I read before I decided to go to Dr. Ko. Thanks for your review!

      Delete
  9. Hi boleh i tau u mkn isotretinoin tu 2biji sekali mkn ke.. atau satu pagi satu malam?? Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi moochie. yg tu makan 2 biji sekali. time malam je. lepas tu makan sebijik je pun malam jugak. heheh

      Delete
    2. Hi, so the isotretinoin tu, mmg 1 month supply only or u kena makan lagi (after meeting dr for next appoinment) for another few months?

      Delete
    3. Hi Intan. Lepas 1 month tu habis still kena makan lagi after tu. Dorang akan topup your isotretinoin but yang tu kena bayar lagi la. 3 bulan jugak I makan tu.

      Delete
  10. Hey greetings, for the 6 skincare products, may I know which one for morning use and which one for night use ? Totally forgot what they explained to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna. I think every product should be use twice a day, during day and night except for sunscreen. Sunscreen is for day use. Because I don't remember using a specific product only for day or night. Hope this help ^_^

      Delete
  11. Hi sis.. Im really excited reading your review. For now, i have bad condition skin mostly on my jawline. Seriously I want to cry when I take the pics of it, and I really want to go Dr.Ko after reading all the reviews. Hope it'll work on me. Im tired being fans of cheap products! T.T
    Anyway thanks for this story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I'm glad this post help you to have some hope. I understand the struggle. If you are near Shah Alam and looking for a more affordable option, I suggest you go to Klinik Welcare. I also wrote a review about that clinic in my blog.

      https://nunuwahidah.blogspot.com/2020/09/acne-treatment-with-klinik-welcare-shah.html

      Delete
  12. My face becomes terrible when I go college (maybe stress?) ,a lot of pimples and scars, again and again. I'm really stressed out at that time, shy to go out, luckily that time is MCO, I can stay at home. My sister then decide to bring me to consult dr.ko.

    Taking almost the same medicine, skincare products and facials after 3/4months, my face becomes really smooth, not oily again mean less pimple come out again.

    I really like the moisture and sunscreen product provided by Dr.ko. It's so different than others that sell in store. No sticky to the face😃

    Dr.ko really helps my face to become better and the only disadvantage is too expensive. I'll then work hard to pay back to my sister🙏🏻 TQ, sister and Dr.ko.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your sister is so nice. You are lucky to have her as your sister. Can I have her as my sister too? JK. Hahaha. Hopefully you will recover soon.

      Delete
  13. Hi, ur skin will look dry or cracked after taking purple pill? Because the doktor tell me the skin will very very dry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the purple pill made my skin dry but thankfully it didn't cracked. Just use the skincare that come with the package and you'll be good ^_^

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing. I went to Dr Ko last year August with my horrible pimples and the skin getting darker and darker. It's expensive and I did the treatment which I forgot the name but they used kind of acid to apply on your mark which is painful. After 3-5 days it will be small black spot and it drop by itself. The medicine very expensive and I bought every two weeks which cost me RM200 -RM1400 and I month I spend almost 3K. The problem my skin get very very dry. Even it effect my lips and my bum getting so dry and it spread until the side of my hips and also surrounding the private part. The skin getting thinner and so itchy but I never realized it could be the side effect. Last week I bought pill for itchy and am still taking and hoping it will be better. I suffered a lot during my period. It's burning. I hope the effect on my skin will recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing. I went to Dr Ko last year August with my horrible pimples and the skin getting darker and darker. It's expensive and I did the treatment which I forgot the name but they used kind of acid to apply on your mark which is painful. After 3-5 days it will be small black spot and it drop by itself. The medicine very expensive and I bought every two weeks which cost me RM200 -RM1400 and I month I spend almost 3K. The problem my skin get very very dry. Even it effect my lips and my bum getting so dry and it spread until the side of my hips and also surrounding the private part. The skin getting thinner and so itchy but I never realized it could be the side effect. Last week I bought pill for itchy and am still taking and hoping it will be better. I suffered a lot during my period. It's burning. I hope the effect on my skin will recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't use acid on my skin tho I was secretly hoping they will because I know it's going to settle my problem faster. But now, I'm glad they didn't use it on me. Yes, our skin can be really dry during the treatment but I never knew it can affect our private part too. Thats scary. How are your skin now? If those area are still dry, I think you need to stop the treatment and told them about your problem.

      Delete
  16. Hai ! same here hehe last year sya buat treatment dgn dr ko and amek package lebih kurang sama dgn awk cuma tmbh yellow laser and gentle facial so mine is around 2k+ huhu but maybe my mistake sbb sya stop accutane dgn antibiotic without recommendation dari dr so now acne tumbuh balik but still under control huhu maybe kena dtg semula consult dr and start over accutane. But yaa sya agree abt the cleanser almost a year baru habis and the essence is kind like matikan bacteria kut bcs lepas sya picit acne sya terus apply then pores akn mengecil then bengkak sbb picit tu akn kurang, but still ada dark spot :’) now mcm nk tukar ke product lain but takut hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi khai! why stop before habis semua tu! membazir okay. hahaha termarah pulak. listen to the doctor okay. kalau nak tukar produk, tukar satu-satu. tengok dah sesuai yg ditukar tu, baru tukar the next one.

      Delete
  17. Hi, nak tanya.. Kalau saye nak ambik ubat je (accutane) untuk acne without the treatment & skincare boleh tak ye?? Did they mentioned about nit during your consultation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I tak sure if boleh mintak dengan nak accutane saje with Dr. KO. But awak boleh try pergi Klinik Welcare dekat Shah Alam. Saya ada pergi klinik tu lepas Dr. Ko and dorang lagi murah sebab takde skincare. Or awak boleh pergi mana-mana klinik kulit dekat area rumah awak.

      https://nunuwahidah.blogspot.com/2020/09/acne-treatment-with-klinik-welcare-shah.html

      Ni kalau awak nak baca experience saya dekat Klinik Welcare tu.

      Delete
  18. Hi nurul..i know it been 1 year...but may i know if your skin problem resolved after treatment with Dr. Ko?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Sadly no. After the treatment with Dr. Ko my skin started to breakout again after about 10 months but that's probably my fault because I didn't hydrate my skin properly.

      Delete
  19. tapi kalau stop guna, akan datang semula ke break out tu? means once dah guna product tu, kena continuous guna sampai bila-bila even kulit dah ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi ika. untuk produk dia tu okay je tak continuous sampai bila2 pun. sy pun dah tak guna produk dia sebab agak pricey.

      Delete
    2. I need to do laser treatment every month which coast me RM600 because my skin back to dull and uneven skin even oily below the eyes. The medicine different. A month I spend RM3K or even more. The result can be seen but you need to keep continue. I don't know how because until now unable to find the right one. So no choice this is the only option. Thank you

      Delete
  20. Hi Nurul, I nak tanya yang package tu just suggestion from Dr je kan so tak wajib la untuk ambik pun kan? If kita just nak consume ubat tu saja boleh juga ke? Sebab I student, so nak spend that much money on their own products macam out of budget huhu.. hope you boleh jawab soalan I, tq :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Kalau you nak ubat saja boleh pergi klinik. I tak sure general clinics ade ke tak tapi I pernah dapat prescription ubat tu dekat Klinik Welcare Shah Alam. Kalau you jauh dari Shah Alam, maybe boleh tanya mana mana klinik in your area.

      Delete

Hi, thanks for your comments ^_^