I READ : ENDURANCE

by - January 28, 2018

Assalamualaikum. Hi.


As I mentioned in my book Instagram (Reading Hut), I had been waiting for this book since Scott Kelly announced it. I was so excited when I find out there's an astronaut who lived aboard ISS for a year. By that time, it was near the end of that one year period so I was looking forward to his landing. 

ABOUT THE BOOK (Goodreads)
Click Goodreads link above if you wish to read about this book from professional point of view. Hahaha. This book is written by Scott Kelly, NASA astronaut who spent a year in space. Scott wrote about his childhood, teenage life and his career choices that eventually lead him to become an astronaut. He also wrote about his one year journey on ISS. How he felt and cope with everything in that long period. 

FUN FACTS
1. Scott Kelly has a twin brother, Mark Kelly who is also a retired astronaut, engineer and navy captain. Talking about twin bonding huh. When he commit for the one year long space flight, it also mean he agreed to become the specimen to identify effects of long term space flight on human for the rest of his life. But NASA never intended to use his twin brother in the experiment. Only when he blurted out in an interview that he saw this as an opportunity for the scientist because his twin brother could be the controlled specimen on Earth, only then NASA decided to include his brother as part of the specimen. If they were a normal twin brother, imagine Mark rage. Hahaha. But this is no ordinary twins we are talking about so I really don't know Mark's reaction and I'm dying to know.

NASA SENT ONE IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER TO SPACE ← read about the first results of the experiment.

2. Scott Kelly wasn't alone on his journey for the record breaking of yearlong stay aboard because he's with a Russian cosmonaut, Mikhail Korneinko 

3. The ISS sees sunrise every 90 minutes. That mean astronaut witness 16 sunrises and 16 sunsets. They could enjoy these views from seven windows of Cupola module. Or they could enjoy them outside during spacewalk, that if they are not busy concentrating the tasks on their hands which I believe require high concentration.

Cupola module. Picture credit NASA

WHAT I LIKE
1. Scott's sense of humor. Space traveling is not a joke but I love it how Scott Kelly inject witty remarks here and there making the reader feel closer and  a part of his journey. He wore a gorilla suit his twin brother sent him inside his care-package once during that yearlong mission and give few laugh to his fellow colleagues.

2. His principle are so relatable. 

"But I had decided a long time before always to say yes to whatever challenge came my way"

I mean you won't go anywhere if you refuse to take risk and hiding from problems and avoid challenges, no?

"It's important to me to admit mistakes immediately, and I don't make excuses" 

Because defending yourself from your own mistakes is not cool. And you won't learn anything from it. What a waste, right

3. This book is about space and human journey on space exploration and if you don't know yet, I'm a sucker for anything outer space hahaha.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE
During Scott Kelly navy period of life. Don't get me wrong. It's his life journey and it's part of reasons why and how he ended up as an astronaut so it deserved spot in the book. But I know nothing about fighter jet and navy's life so those were parts I can't relate.

RATING
8/10

What's the last book you read?

You May Also Like

6 comments

  1. Wah nice suggestion! ^^ Btw the last book that I read was 7 o'clock tales~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven o'clock tales is from Enid Blyton right? I used to love reading Enid Blyton books

      Delete
  2. From your review, the book looks awesome! Would be adding it into my TBR lol

    nurulrasya.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. mcm best je ni... mn bgs, tgk filem dulu ke, baca buku dulu?

    p/s buku last sy baca, kokuhaku (novel jepun)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nak tunggu filem tak tau lagi ade tak heee. So I suggest baca dulu ^^. Wow tak pernah terfikir nak baca novel Jepun. Thanks for the suggestion

      Delete

Hi, thanks for your comments ^_^